The Rainbow Ski Area is owned and
operated by the Rainbow Sports Club Inc. Membership is open to anyone
interested in ongoing snowsports in the Top of the
South. The Club has a Committee (currently seven members), and employs
staff to manage and operate the field.
2016 Summer Work Parties
Help out with working parties – our club thrives on volunteer
contribution both on and off-field. During the summer / autumn, hundreds
of man-days of work are contributed servicing, repairing and
maintaining equipment and buildings. Member volunteers working for two
or more work party days on the ski field will be recognised for their
efforts in the form of WP credits towards lift and membership
passes. Work Parties generally run every second weekend through
the summer, and involve all sorts of tasks ranging from building
maintenance and painting, repairs to equipment, clothing & uniforms, snow fencing, terrain work, rubbish clean-up, mechanical maintenance,
electrical work, computers and communications maintenance and lifts
maintenance. We can usually find tasks to suit volunteers of all ages,
capabilities and skills.
This year we are focussing our resources on specific projects aimed at improving our café patio area, some roof maintenance, director’s hut, staff day room, Robert Lodge. We have a range of work from unskilled through to technical that needs to be completed before winter, so if you are interested in helping out your club we would love to hear from you. The work party schedule for this summer is:
• Sat 5th/Sun 6th March
• Sat 19th/Sun 20th March
• Easter March 25-28 - none planned
• Sat 2nd/Sun 3rd April
• Sat 16th/Sun 17th April
• Sat 30th April/Sun 1st May
• Sat 14th/Sun 15th May
• Sat 20-21 May Snow Gear Sale - Nelson (Blenheim possible)
• Sat 28th/Sun 29th May
As in previous years, we will aim to run work parties on both Sat and Sunday, depending on volunteer availability, weather and work programme. If the pressure mounts due to weather, or other factors, we can add weekends between dates to suit.
As usual dates and project focuses will be confirmed 4 days prior to the confirmed date to allow for flexibility in parts/contractors and weather when possible. This will be via our work party email lists so be sure to subscribe!
Members who attend two or more work-party days during the summer are
also entitled to Earlybird membership rates until the end of May. So, if
you would like to come up and help for a day or weekend this summer or
help us out in town then drop us a line to firstname.lastname@example.org
with your contact details, and we'll be in touch!
Membership in the Rainbow Sports Club Inc is open to everyone. The
club offers a number of levels of membership to suit everyone that
combine membership and skiing/riding benefits at Rainbow Ski Area:
- Diamond/Platinum Life Member - free any-day skiing/riding at Rainbow, for the rest of the member’s life.
- Gold Member – free any-day skiing/riding at Rainbow during each season that the membership is valid.
- Gold 2Parent1Card – free any-day skiing/riding at Rainbow for
one parent at a time during each season that the membership is valid.
Only one membership card will be issued which is expressly to allow
alternate on-field supervision of under-7 children by one parent, while
the other parent rides/skis.
- Silver Member - free mid-week skiing/riding at Rainbow
(excluding school holidays & public holidays) during each season
that the membership is valid.
- Bronze Member - 10% non-transferable discount off 1 day, 3 day
and 5 day pass purchases during each season that the membership is
Rainbow Sports Club members may also be eligible to the following reciprocal skiing/riding benefits at other ski areas:
- Gold, and Platinum members will be entitled to discounts
off the full day pass at Cardrona, Treble Cone, and Mt Lyford.
- ALL members are entitled to reciprocal discounts at other NZ club ski fields including Hanmer Springs (Amuri Ski-field), Craigieburn, Broken River, Mt Cheeseman and Mt Olympus.
All levels of membership also include the following members benefits :
- Access to Rainbow Ski Field's pre-opening day; you can hit the Rainbow slopes the day before the public does!
- Exclusive access to the Robert Lodge facilities at Rainbow Ski Area during weekends (Lodge open to school use during week).
- Voting rights at the Rainbow Sports Club Inc. AGM
- Cumulative membership subscription discount of up to 20% based on length of membership since 2014
- Coaching clinics & development
- Affiliate discounts at Canterbury Snowsports Association affiliated fields including Mt Cheeseman, Broken River, Craigieburn, Temple Basin, Mt Olympus, Fox Peak and Hanmer Springs (Amuri Ski-field).
- Membership-only specials including discount equipment offers.
- Access to the summer volunteer programme which will compensate each day’s contribution with a free day pass voucher (or more if you have trade/professional skills).
To apply for Membership, go to our Season Pass & Club Membership page