If you intend driving up the Rainbow Access Road it is MANDATORY that
you have a set of chains, from the bottom car-park onwards. Even on days
where chains do not need to be fitted, you MUST still carry a set of
chains that will fit your vehicle. Conditions in this Alpine environment
can and do change rapidly requiring that you fit chains to leave the
mountain. For this reason chains must always be either carried or fitted
to your vehicle. You will be turned away at the base of the mountain or
at the top car park if it is discovered that you are not carrying
chains. The shuttle service is a good regular service for customers who
do not have chains for their vehicle.
No chains, No access, No exceptions!
Chain Hire Services
Chain Hire is available from the following locations:
- St Arnaud - Alpine Lodge- 03 5211869
- Nelson/Stoke - Adventure gear hire - 269 Seaview Road Stoke -5474817 or 021 1111177.
- Brightwater - Brightwater Motors - 32-34 Ellis St - 5423756.
- Blenheim - Snow Chainz Ltd - 213 Weld St, Witherlea - 03-5780220.
- Motueka - Sportsworld - 201 High Street - 5289845.
- Motueka - Abel Tasman Outdoors - 241 High St - 5288646.
Chains can be purchased from the following retailers:
- Repco Nelson, 49 Gloucester Street, Nelson ph.03 546 9992
- Repco Blenheim, 32 Main Street, Blenheim ph.03 577 8141
Repco Richmond, 8 Gladstone Road, Richmond ph.03 543 9301
Repco Motueka, 400 High Street, Motueka ph.03 528 1101
Don't want to drive up with chains? - Check out the other transport options available to you.
THE SHUTTLES HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY AT ALL TIMES, PLEASE GIVE WAY.